Wednesday 4 July 2007

Babel

As a “small” Brad Pitt fan I took it upon myself to watch his latest film Babel. Unsure as to what to expect from the Hollywood doyen, I decided to give it a watch.
It’s fair to say that it’s no feel good film, but it does shine light on some issues that we can all relate to. Not so much the shooting of busses or crashing through international borders, but that sometimes we all feel unheard and need to be listened to, regardless of age, race or religion. Although the stories are set all over the globe, from Mexico to Morocco and out to Japan, the way they link together enhances one strong theme, the need for international understanding. This is reinforced by the films references to the global issue of terrorism, and highlights the cultural ignorance that is associated with it.
It has some disturbing scenes that evoke a variety of contrasting emotions, such as guilt, sorrow, disbelief and understanding to name a few. Each character slowly becomes lost (emotionally or physically) in a place they don’t know or can’t understand. So much seems to happen as the film continuously jumps between its three main story lines, exploring the character relationships, whilst slowly allowing clues and answers to filter through to the audience.
As the story continued to weave together the three extremely diverse environments, it began to create a unity that reminds us of just how small the world is and how our actions affect others. I felt the film was trying to get us to understand that although sometimes we feel so insignificant and unheard, we are all responsible for our behaviour and can all make a difference.
Although it appears to deal with some vast subject areas like cultural ignorance, politics and terrorism to name but a few, I felt these issues did not distract from the individual characters stories, or the general message of the film. It merely used them as a contextual aid in which to highlight the problems with modern civilization, with the hope that the audience would give some thought to these issues once the film had ended.
Overall I found Babel to be thought provoking and intense film with strong characters, depth, integrity and an underlying message echoed through its title, ignore the babble and to listen to each other.

3 comments:

Paddy McEntaggart said...

I also watched this film a couple of weeks ago. I had been meaning to watch it for a while as I really liked 21 Grams by Alejandro González Iñárritu, but had been put off a bit by Brad Pitt staring in this (I prefer Sean Penn's acting)

I like the style of both films, where the stories are interwoven it helps to carry the stories along and maintain interest. However I can't help feeling that some elements of the film are not very plausible, for example I think the other tourists were a bit extreme in not caring about Cate Blanchett being shot. I believe people are, in general more accommodating than that. There were other things too, like the international "incident" that seemed to have been created by the shooting, yet it seemed like a long time before help came. The bit where Pitt and Blanchett find out about their Nanny's adventures with their kids wasn't made into anything much. The link between the Japanese girl's father and the Moroccan story was a bit tenuous.

For me the story of the Japanese girl Chieko seemed the most interesting, yes it was slightly less dramatic but the themes of isolation, misunderstanding and confusion gave her character a lot of possibilities, I would have preferred if film concentrated on this story as I think there was much more to offer.

Melissa Zouhair said...

Yeah I have been meaning to watch 21 Grams as I have heard it is meant to be better than Babel.
Thank you for commenting, you highlighted some very good points that I had not thought about. Its ture some of the story lines lack realism. However, I found when watching the film that the story lines, (although sometimes weak) were there to reinforce the films themes of isolation and misunderstanding and were ironically not the main focus of the film, therefore were allowed to be a little unrealistic perhaps.

Natalie said...

I agree with paddy on this. i do think the other tourists were extremely unsympathetic and this was unrealistic. I also think the way morocco was portrayed was a rather narrow, western view on an arab country.

However, i did really enjoy this film . It had countless beautiful shots and i loved the constant change between different cultures and countries.